- The Times-Picayune reader blog on the trash can controversy is very interesting. Please post your own pro-French Quarter comments! Copy and paste this into your internet browser...
- I was a guest on WWL-AM/-FM this evening about the trash controversy. Everyone has heard that the French Quarter is cleaner now -- but the host thought it was because of the carts. I had to explain it is WITHOUT the plastic carts! He said then that we won him over! Same thing with a recent Angus Lind column in the Times-Picayune. He thought the carts made the French Quarter cleaner, and we were whining. I e-mailed him that, no, it is cleaner without the carts - and dozens of carts up and down our narrow historic streets will make the French Quarter cluttered and unsightly!
- It has been suggested by city officials that we need these cans for health reasons, such as stopping rats. This is being disputed by former City Health Officer Dr. Brobson Lutz, a long-time French Quarter resident. He filed a Freedom of Information Request asking for data from the city to back up its claims, but, at least so far, the city has not released the data he has requested. We ask the city to release this health and sanitation data without further delay.
- It is said that the Mayor wants to replace Dr. Ralph Lupin as a member of the all-volunteer Vieux Carre’ Commission. We call upon Dr. Lupin to apologize to Ms. White [for calling her a "bitch". He said it, I didn't. ed.], and for Ms. White to accept his apology. Ms. White deserves to be treated with personal respect. Dr. Lupin’s lifetime of community service should be taken into account. We ask for Mayor Nagin to invite Dr. Lupin and Ms. White to his office to straighten this out. They are both good people making important contributions to this city. Let’s get this behind us and get back to the real recovery!
- Please only use heavy duty trash/garbage bags – not flimsy plastic bags from the grocery or pharmacy! If your neighbors are using those flimsy bags, talk to them! It is when someone uses those flimsy bags that there can be a problem.
- The owner of SDT, Mr. Torres, has asked that residents put out their trash after 5 pm. He said they want to pick up commercial trash in the morning and residential after 5 pm. So far, they have picked up residential bags whenever they see them, but please help them by waiting til 5 pm. I asked what happens if you are not home right at 5 p.m. He said they will make more than one pass, so anytime after 5 p.m. should be fine.
Vieux Carre' Property Owners, Residents and Associates, Inc.